Golf was first played at ‘Strathfield Golf Club’ in 1898. The push for more residential land in this exclusive area, plus the cost of maintaining the club land (which was situated between what is now ‘The Boulevard’ and Homebush Road) meant that the original club was disbanded in 1906. At this time members joined with Concord golfers to become the Concord Golf Links Ltd.
The ‘new’ Strathfield Golf Club was not formed until October 1931 and incorporated in 1934. Following its inception, the Course consisted of 9 holes, using the land known as Freshwater Park, leased from Strathfield Council as well as NSW State Railways.
During its 75 year history the Club has undergone many changes. These included the acquisition of land to increase the size to 18 holes, erection of a club house, installation of an irrigation system and numerous design changes to the layout. The location of the Club is now on the fringe of the Municipality, being adjacent to many stately and leafy homes within the suburb of Strathfield. It is approximately 20 kilometres west of the Sydney CBD and 2 kilometres from Sydney Olympic Park.
The first club champion was Ted Lenton, who won in successive years, 1931/32 and 1933. A perpetual trophy carrying his name is still played for annually as part of the Club Championship format. The first Associates Club champion was Mrs E.A.Buttinshaw in 1933.
The year 2006 marked the Club’s 75th Diamond Jubilee Anniversary.
In 2016 the Club commenced the construction of its new clubhouse and redevelopment of the golf course. The old clubhouse site and practice fairway was sold to fund this project. The new clubhouse site was situated on the western side of the course, where previously the old 5th green had been located.
The new clubhouse officially opened in November 2018. The spectacular building is a hidden oasis encompassed by the lush fairways of the golf course. The clubhouse features a members lounge, sports lounge, casual dining area, cafe, gaming lounge, event centre and an abundance of alfresco areas all with panoramic views.
During the same period of time the club commenced a much-needed renovation of the golf course. The course works included rebuilding 14 new greens, 16 tee boxes, 38 bunkers, altering fairway corridors, and an improved practice putting and chipping facility. The redesign was led by Internationally acclaimed course architect Jim Wilcher from Golf by Design. The new layout plays as a championship quality 5,900 meter Par 71. The transformed course provides an enjoyable and challenging experience for golfers of all abilities.
The Club’s feature open event for Vardon players is the Strathfield Bowl, traditionally held in August each year. The Strathfield Junior Classic for boys and girls 12 – 17years is held in December each year.