History of Strathfield Golf Club
Golf was first played at ‘Strathfield Golf Club’ in 1898. The push for more residential land in this exclusive area, plus the cost of maintaining the club land (which was situated between what is now ‘The Boulevard’ and Homebush Road meant that the original club was disbanded in 1906 when members joined with Concord golfers to become the Concord Golf Links Ltd.
The ‘new’ Strathfield Golf Club was not formed until October 1931 and incorporated in 1934. Following its inception, the Course consisted of 9 holes, using the land known as Freshwater Park, leased from Strathfield Council as well as NSW State Railways.
During its 75year history the Club has undergone many changes, including the acquisition of land to increase the size to 18 holes, erection of a club house, installation of an irrigation system to the Course and numerous design changes to the layout. The location of the Club is now on the fringe of the Municipality, being adjacent to many stately and leafy homes within the suburb of Strathfield. It is approximately 20 kilometres west of the central business district of Sydney and 2 kilometres from the Homebush Olympic Games site and Sydney Showground.
The first club champion was Ted Lenton, who won in successive years, 1931/32 and 1933. A perpetual trophy carrying his name is still played for annually as part of the Club Championship format. The first Associates Club champion was Mrs E.A.Buttinshaw in 1933.
The Club’s feature open event for Vardon players is the Strathfield Bowl, traditionally held in August each year. The Strathfield Junior Classic for boys and girls 12 – 17years is held in December each year.
The year 2006 marked the Club’s 75th Diamond Jubilee Anniversary.